Informations about the Regulations of Non-Attendance in Exams
In the following we summarized the most important regulations of non-attendance in exams.
- In the exam regulations of your major you will find under the paragraph headline “omission, withdrawal, deception, infringement of regulations” a paragraph, which contains the basic regulations of non-attendance in exams.
- Basically: An examination is assessed with an „inadequate/ not passed“, if students do not appear to an exam without having compelling reasons to withdraw or if students withdraw from an exam after its beginning with no compelling reasons. Same is, if a written exam is not finished within the given period of time.
- Additionally: The reasons for an omission of an exam or the withdrawal after the start of an exam need to be recorded in writing to a presiding member of the examination board (or at some place commissioned to be the substitute of the examination board). The examination board chose the examination office as substitute where you can send your medical certificates to. In the case of sickness the medical certificate needs to be submitted three days after the exam, the latest, either to a presiding member of the examination board or to the office commissioned to be the substitute (examination office). The medical certificate needs to show the inability to take part at the exam. A medical certificate of a public health officer can be demanded. Sickness of a student equals the sickness of a child that is looked after by this student alone.
- This regulation has been complemented by resolutions of the examination boards of the two departments. These resolutions can be looked at the respective examination board.
The examination boards determined the following:
- Medical certificates need to be submitted to the examination office of the environmental campus three days after the exam, the latest.
- As a medical certificates you can use the form “medical certificate” of the environmental campus. You won’t need the supplementary sheet. If you submit another medical certificates (e.g. incapacity certificate, medical certificate of a public health officer), it is absolutely necessary to submit the supplementary sheet, too. Without it the medical certificates cannot be dealt with. There is, however, the possibility to hand it in later.
- After three medical certificates you will need a medical certificate of a public health officer for further sicknesses.
- This medical certificate needs to explain all the afflictions and the resulting restrictions in detail. Otherwise, the inability to write the exam cannot be verified and therefore will not be accepted.
- To stay in the three-days-deadline you can submit a medical certificates of your general practitioner first and promptly hand in the medical certificate of the public health officer later.
- You will be informed by the examination office when you need to submit medical certificates of a public health officer instead of normal medical certificate.
General Informations for Submitting Medical Certificates
Medical Certificates need to be submitted to the examination office of the environmental campus within three days after the exam. This three-days-deadline does also apply if you are not able to hand in the medical certificate by yourself. It is your responsibility to make sure that the medical certificate is submitted in time.
Please enclose information about your student number, your course of study and the name of the exam with your medical certificate. Therefore, please use our supplementary sheet that you can get at the examination office or as a download.
Out of the opening hours medical certificate and supplementary sheets can be thrown into the blue letterbox in building 9924 next to the room 120. It will be emptied three times a day from Monday to Friday. To send your medical certificate per post, please use the following address: Hochschule Trier, Umwelt-Campus Birkenfeld, Prüfungsamt, Postfach 1380, 55761 Birkenfeld. You can also send someone else to hand in your medical certificate, of course. Please keep in mind that a delayed submission of your medical certificate may not be recognized and the exam may therefore be assessed with a “not passed”.
During exam period the incoming medical certificate will be resting in the office until the finishing of grading. Then after the counting of attempts the received medical certificate will be captured on QIS. This normally happens in the first two months of the following semester. If there is a “not passed” on QIS although you handed in a medical certificate, please wait and check only after two months of the new semester at the examination office, if your medical certificate is not shown anywhere. With this you would reduce the high amount of enquiries and you would give the staff of the examination office the time to work through all the pieces of papers. Thank you in advance.
Template for Medical Certificates of Public Health Officers
The examination offices of the departments Environmental Business and Economics/Environmental Law and Environmental Planning/Environmental Technology passed resolutions after which students will need medical certificates of a public health officer in the case of sickness after submitting three normal sick notes/ incapacity certificates.
The student needs to bear all costs. You will be informed by the examination office when you need to submit medical certificates of a public health officer instead of normal sick notes.
After this notification you are obliged to hand in a medical certificate of a public health officer every time you cannot take part in an exam because of sickness. This medical certificate needs to explain all the afflictions and the resulting restrictions in detail. After prevailing legal norms the public health officer needs, if necessary, to be exonerated of confidentiality. But not your doctor decides whether there is an inability to take part at the exam, this is the duty of the examining authority (Trier University). The doctor only informs about the afflictions and the consequential restrictions of capability of the student. Absolutely necessary is the supplementary sheet that needs to be handed in with the medical certificate. This sheet can be handed in later, but mind the fact that your certificate can only be dealt with when the supplementary sheet is attached.
Recognition of Inability to Take Part in Exams
The inability to take part in exams can only be recognized, if the capability of the student is restricted through special occasions or sickness in such an extent that a participation in the exam is unreasonable. This decision is made by the examining authority (Trier University). Not by the doctor. The doctor only informs about the afflictions and the consequential restrictions. In order to make a decision about the inability to take part in the exam, the examination authority needs detailed information about the afflictions and restrictions of the student. Prevailing legal norms, therefore, confirmed the obligation of the student to proof the sickness and it confirmed the eventual release of the doctor’s confidentiality.