Recognition of examination credits at the Environmental Campus Birkenfeld
At the Trier University of Applied Sciences, Environmental Campus Birkenfeld, study and examination credits that were achieved in a course of study at a university in Germany or abroad will be recognized. Recognition will be refused only if there is a substantial difference between the achieved examination credits and the examination credits that are to be replaced.
The policies and procedures for recognition are regulated by the examination regulations of your course of study and are, if necessary, supplemented and illustrated by decisions of the examination board in your department. Your examination regulation is published in the “publicus”, the official publication organ of the Trier University of Applied Sciences. It can also be found on the website of your course of study. The supplementary decisions of the examination boards can be found on the website of the examination office in the respective categories of the examination boards UWUR and UPUT .
General information on the recognition of examination credits
The recognition of examination credits and the transfer of equivalent knowledge and skills acquired outside the higher education system is basically carried out according to Sect. 25 para. 3 of the Higher Education Act of Rhineland-Palatinate.
Examination credits that were achieved in a course of study at a university in Germany or abroad will be recognized if the achieved learning results do not substantially differ from those in the course of study which they are supposed to replace concerning content, workload, skill level and profile. Here an overall assessment must be carried out with regard to the importance of the examination credits for the achievement of the objectives of the studies, the purpose of the examinations and the professional qualification.
With this in mind, there is a substantial difference if the recognition represents a probable impairment for the applicant’s successful completion of studies. The applicant is supposed to provide sufficient information for the recognition (process).
Upon request the university can recognize equivalent knowledge and skills acquired outside the higher education system on the basis of submitted documents if knowledge and skills are equivalent in content and level to the examinations they are intended to replace. Knowledge and skills acquired outside the higher education system can only replace a maximum of half of the study program. The actual verification of a request is carried out on the basis of documents submitted by the applicant such as work samples, credentials, descriptions of subjects, curricula and so on. The applicant is supposed to establish proof of equivalence.
Recognition of examination credits as part of a study abroad
Please contact the International Office ( International Office) as well as the official in charge in your department/of your course of study to talk about the study program at the foreign university PRIOR TO your study abroad. This simplifies the recognition process after your stay.
If you spend your practical phase of the semester / your internship as a semester abroad at a foreign university you must first sign a Learning Agreement with your supervising examiner. This is most important for students taking part in the Erasmus program.
After having successfully completed the foreign exams agreed upon, please submit your transcript of records or certificates together with all the necessary documents after the completion of your study abroad. The recognition process will generally be carried out by your supervising examiner. After receipt of the documents in the examination office the credits for the practical phase of the semester / the internship as a semester abroad will be entered in the student administration system QIS.
Examination credits from your foreign university that exceed your Learning Agreement may also be recognized and can possibly replace examination credits in your course of study at the UCB. Please submit your request by using our application form. The recognition process will be carried out by the lecturer whose examination is to be replaced, the chairperson of the examination board in charge and the study program officer. The request will be approved if there is no substantial difference between the examinations. The process is based on the criteria that are applicable for the recognition of examination credits achieved in Germany.
Please look up the regulations for the practical study phase / the practical semester / the study semester abroad of the two departments on the internet in the category “Students” (LINK). For detailed information go to “Forms for Students”, also available as download.
Recognition process for examination credits
If you intend to relocate from another university to the Trier University of Applied Sciences, Environmental Campus Birkenfeld or if you are a student at the Trier University of Applied Sciences, Environmental Campus Birkenfeld and want to change your course of study you have to apply for a certain semester in the desired course of study. For application credits and module manuals have to be submitted to the Registrar’s Office to document your past studies.
Find the application forms for the recognition of credits in the category “Forms for students” (Link), downloads available for each department. Your request and the necessary documents will be passed on for verification and approval to the officials in charge of the admitting course of study.
After the return of the documents which include the decision about the recognition the recognized examination credits will be entered in the student administration system QIS.
Conversion of grades
Recognized grades are factured into the overall grade provided that the grade systems are compatible.
In general, the grade systems at foreign universities are different from the grade system in Germany. Therefore, grades that are to be transferred must be converted. There are different conversion methods such as the so-called modified Bavarian formula. The cooperation contracts with foreign universities generally include agreements on the conversion of grades. Information on the regulations in your course of study is available at the office in charge of your department.
Grades deriving from incompatible grade systems as well as knowledge and skills that were acquired outside the higher education system without proper grades being available will appear in the examination certificate as “passed”. The credit will be marked as a recognized grade. These credits are not factured into the overall grade.
General hints and information on the procedure of the recognition of examination credits
The application for the recognition of examination credits has to be completed by the applicant with the following documents:
- Certificates, transcripts of records, module handbooks and module descriptions as well as similar documents which are necessary to verify the equivalence. The application cannot be attended to without these documents. The applicant is responsible for the submission of the appropriate documents.
- According to the resolutions of the examination board Environmental Business and Economics/Environmental Law (April 20, 2010) and the examination board Environmental Planning/Environmental Technologies (April 21, 2010) these documents must be submitted to the examination office within the first semester after your enrollment at the Environmental Campus Birkenfeld, respectively within the first semester after a change of your course of study. Overdue applications cannot be considered.
- Applications for the recognition of examination credits achieved in identical or technically related courses of study in Germany will be recognized without verification of the equivalence by the head of the examination board after recommendation by the program officer.
- Applications for the recognition of examination credits achieved in dissimilar courses of study or abroad have to be checked for equivalence by the lecturer whose examination will be expendable after recognition. The verification is carried out with regard to contents and according to the examination regulations. The application documents are submitted to the chairperson of the examination board for recognition. Examinations are equivalent if the duration of studies, ECTS credit points (European Credit Transfer System) and examination credits do not substantially differ with regard to learning achievements and/or the structure of lectures or study programs, quality as well as academic and professional admission. The comparison is not a schematic one, but an overall view and assessment.
- The recognition of knowledge and skills that were achieved outside the higher education system and the recognition of examination credits are both subject to the same regulations. Each application is checked by the lecturer whose examination is to be replaced on the basis of the submitted documents. If necessary there is another check by the program officer. Recognition will be approved by the chairperson of the examination board in charge. Recognition is possible if the submitted documents give proof that the knowledge and skills are equivalent to the examinations they are to replace with regard to contents and level. Knowledge and skills acquired outside the higher education system can only replace a maximum of half of the study program. The actual verification of equivalence is carried out on the basis of documents submitted by the applicant such as work samples, credentials, descriptions of subjects, curricula and so on. The applicant is supposed to establish proof of equivalence.
- The approval of recognition is registered by the examination office.
- If the request for recognition is rejected the applicant receives a notice stating the basic differences of the achievements (examinations / knowledges and skills) and informing about legal remedy.
- The examination regulations and the resolutions of the examination boards inform about further details concerning recognitions.
- For advice and support concerning the recognition process don’t hesitate to contact the examination office. If you have questions concerning aspects of your course of study and the content of your request please contact the program officer of the course of study you intend to enroll in.
- The recognition process usually takes three months.