Practical previous education, Transition Bachelor to Master

What is the practical previous education and how and where can I have it recognised?

If you start a Bachelor's Program, proof of a practical previous education of 12 weeks (1 year for dual study programs) is generally required. This is also called a basic and specialist internship.

This practical pevious education must be recognised by the program officer of your course of study. Special recognition forms are available for this from the department secretariats. You must present your program officer of your course of study the application form for recognition together with the proof of practical previous training (certificate from the internship office describing the activities and duration).

After the recognition the recognition form has to be handed in at the examination office, where the recognition is registered in the QIS.

The recognition of the practical previous education is a prerequisite for the registration of the Bachelor's thesis.

How does the transition from Bachelor to Master take place? What is important here?

According to § 19 Abs. 2 Hochschulgesetz von Rheinland-Pfalz (Higher Education Act of Rhineland-Palatinate), admission to a Master's program is conditional on a university degree (= Diplom or Bachelor) qualifying for a profession. In addition, the course of study in a Master's program can be made dependent on further special admission requirements (= e.g. grade average for Bachelor's programs of at least 2.5).

In justified exceptional cases, it may be permitted that the Master's Program is already taken up before the final examinations of a Bachelor's program have been completed and in this case also before the acquisition of the admission requirements according to sentence 2 (= enrolment in a Master's program without a Bachelor's degree).

This means that you can enrol in a Master's Program before you have completed your Bachelor's degree. A glance at the examination regulations of the Master's program in question will tell you whether this is linked to certain requirements (e.g. only 30 ECTS may be missing or only the final thesis may be pending).

However, parallel enrolment only makes sense if you have actually reached the end of your Bachelor's Program and are possibly only awaiting evaluations of some of your exams. Also keep in mind that when you enrol in the Master's Program, courses and exams are already due at a time when you should be concentrating on writing your Bachelor's thesis. You should take this time to create the basis for a good degree and a good overall grade. There is a great danger that you will already concentrate on the Master's program, neglect your Bachelor's degree and then fail to achieve the required minimum grade or even lose the examination entitlement in the Bachelor's program and thus fail to meet the admission requirements for the Master's program.

In accordance with the Higher Education Act, this means that enrolment in the Master's programme is cancelled if the admission requirements are not proven by the end of the first semester after enrolment.

It is also possible, however, that in the semester in which you are enrolled in both degree programs, you will concentrate mainly on your Bachelor's degree and therefore neglect the courses and examinations of the first Master's semester. In the long run, this leads to a postponement of the examinations to the following semesters, to increased pressure per semester and usually to an exceeding of the standard period of study.

We therefore advise you to concentrate first on your Bachelor's degree and only then to take up the Master's degree, in order to have the best possible conditions for both studies. Come to the Examination Office for good advice .

What happens if I am already enrolled in a Master's Program and fail to obtain the required Bachelor's degree (loss of examination entitlement) or fail to meet other admission requirements such as the required minimum grade?

If you do not have a Bachelor's degree by the end of the first semester of enrolment in a Master's program, or if you have not met other admission requirements such as the required minimum grade, enrolment expires. Re-enrolment in a Master's Program is only possible once the required admission requirements have been met.


If I am already enrolled in a Master's Program in addition to my Bachelor's program, can I then take the Master's program examinations?

If you are already enrolled in a Master's Program in parallel to your Bachelor's program in accordance with § 19 Para. 2 of the Higher Education Act Rhineland-Palatinate, you may take the examinations of this Master's program.

Can I also take part in Master's Program examinations during a Bachelor's program even though I am not enrolled in a Master's program?

(Kopie 5)

You can only take part in Master's examinations if you are enrolled in a Master's Program.


back-to-top nach oben